Thursday, May 28, 2009

Five First Grade Money Lessons that Many Adults Have Forgotten

1. Save money before buying something, if you don’t have the money, you don’t get it.

As the Proverb says, “The eyes of man are never satisfied.” We live in a nation where far too many people have forgotten how to say “NO”. We teach our kids to use a piggy bank, and when they have saved up enough, then they can go buy an ice cream cone.

2. It doesn’t matter what other kids are doing

I still remember hearing, “if your friends jumped off a bridge, would you follow them?” in response to my longing to do what my friends were doing. It seems that as adults we play into that crowd-think much like kids.

3. Money isn’t a right or privilege - it is compensation for hard work

My parents did a pretty good job of driving this point home to my thick skull. Like many, I was a lazy teenager that needed money and eventually figured out that by working I got more money. If I cut one lawn I would get $10, but if I cut two lawns I would get $20. It was a difficult concept to grasp, but I eventually got it!

“He who tills his land will have plenty of food, but he who follows empty pursuits will have poverty in plenty.” Proverbs 28:19

4. If it seems too good to be true - it probably is!

I remember on numerous occasions getting excited about an opportunity presented to me and running off to my Dad only to tell him about it. His healthy dose of skepticism saved me a lot of wasted time and energy. I notice that there is always an abundance of scams to prey off of people willing to fall for them.

5. You can be anything you want to be when you grow up

This is one that I forgot for while and am working on remembering again. I have a lot of other things that I want to do while I am on this earth, so I am working to fight off self-limiting thoughts. Life is too short to do something you don’t enjoy for all of it! God didn’t create us to spend 40 years in a job we hate! He has a better purpose and plan for our lives - but it requires our following after Him!

- from Christian Personal Finance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...