Friday, February 5, 2010

A Covenant Commitment

The Bible describes marriage as a serious covenant commitment between two people. A covenant is a solid and binding agreement. When two people say, "I do," you can almost hear God affirming, "I do also," because marriage is totally His idea. In fact, Jesus explained marriage as two people being joined together by God (Matthew 19:6).

"The Bible says that if I make a commitment, it is a commitment for life," says Dr. Spiros Zodhiates. "Marriage is not a feeling. Marriage is a commitment. It's a contract; it's a covenant. I cannot get out of my covenant simply because I changed my mind." The idea that marriage is a feeling is prevalent in our society. When one partner feels different about the other, he or she often chooses to follow those feelings and be unfaithful or seek a separation or divorce.*

In an ideal world (i.e., the Garden of Eden) marriage is between one man and one woman for a lifetime, and it is a sacred covenant. However, we live in a fallen world, and people choose to disobey God. Breaking the covenant of marriage is a sin, and God hates it (Malachi 2:16), but God will never love you any less. His love is unconditional, and He wants to forgive you and heal you.

"God made mankind upright, but men have gone in search of many schemes" (Ecclesiastes 7:29).

Lord God, I believe that marriage is a commitment, and I wish I weren't in this situation. Thank you that You have never stopped loving me. Amen.

* Note: In this section, we are speaking of situations where one or both individuals in a relationship decide to split up based upon their feelings or lack of feelings; we are not addressing situations involving abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...