Sunday, April 18, 2010

"I Deserve It"

Many people believe they deserve to spend money on themselves. They think, "I work hard; I deserve to get something special for myself." This is a common and accepted practice in our society. Yet, there is no biblical basis for spending money on something unnecessary when that money is needed for other things.

Cynthia Yates says, "I believe that a sense of ethical stewardship has been replaced by a feeling of entitlement. People are so accustomed to immediate gratification that they want their needs met and they want them met now: 'I'm entitled to have that boat in the garage. I'm entitled to have a latte on my way to work every day.' Yes, you're entitled, but you're also entitled to be able to sleep well at night because your bills are paid. You're also entitled to face your future because you have a retirement nest egg, so let's rearrange some of the thinking about entitlement."

If you are loyal to God's teachings, the Bible says you will prosper and your house will be full of great treasure. So, when you begin to have "but-I-deserve-it" thoughts creeping into your head, reject them and think of the treasures you are accruing by choosing God's way.

"The house of the righteous contains great treasure, but the income of the wicked brings them trouble" (Proverbs 15:6).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...