Saturday, April 10, 2010

Pride

Mike Klumpp, after divorce, became a single dad of four children. He talks about the financial difficulties he faced and how he put aside his pride in order to best care for his children: "I took an 80 percent cut in income to be home every evening for my family. At the same time I shouldered the debt my wife and I had amassed for ourselves.

"I just didn't have enough money. I didn't have enough to pay my creditors. I had to be honest. I had to put down my pride and say, 'I'm in a situation where I can no longer provide for my family the way I once did.' I had to recognize it was more important to see to my family's emotional and spiritual needs. I had to back off from the lifestyle I had grown accustomed to and accept the fact that there were going to be some changes."

Cynthia Yates addresses the person who is too ashamed to accept help from other people or organizations: "Are you going to say to your children, 'Gee, there's no food on the table because mommy or daddy was embarrassed'? The Bible tells us that we should be there for each other. There may be a time when you'll be sitting on the other side and be able to reach out and help somebody too."

Please don't let pride stand in the way of asking for help. Let others share the hard times and not just the good times with you.

"Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn" (Romans 12:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...