Thursday, July 15, 2010

Forgiveness Is Not Justifying the Other Person's Actions

You do not need to justify your former spouse's behavior in order to forgive. Some people mistakenly think forgiveness only occurs when you finally understand or can rationalize why the other person did a certain thing or acted a certain way.

Forgiveness is acknowledging that what the other person did was not right and giving it up to God.

Harriet shares, "Oh, how I hated my former husband when I found out he was the one who made the decision to have the affair. It's only now, months later, that I realize I had to feel the anger and hate I felt because I had to acknowledge it was in my life.

"It's through the ministering of the Holy Spirit within me saying, 'Harriet, these things are here; let's look at them together and then let's give them up to the heavenly Father' that there is power. As I give Him the things that are standing in the way of me living victoriously, I can look at new life.

"The love of my Savior and His daily walk with me has brought me where I am now. And I can say, 'Praise God. You are so good because You have let me be my own person. You've let me walk through this valley, holding me tightly.' Each day I'm stronger and more confident. For the first time in my life there is real joy in my heart. Joy that's from within."

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall" (Psalm 55:22).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...