Friday, July 9, 2010

The Importance of Forgiveness

"Forgiveness is never easy. Your emotions will never ever, ever, ever want to forgive," says Harold Graham.

Easy? No. Necessary for your healing? Absolutely.

Muriel shares, "The key for me in getting on with my life was to be forgiven by God, to forgive myself, and to forgive my ex for his part in the breakup of the marriage."

Our model of forgiveness is God. Sometimes we forget just how much He has forgiven us. We often don't realize how sinful we are compared to a holy, perfect, and righteous God. Isaiah 64:6 says that all our righteous deeds, the things we pat ourselves on the back for, are "like filthy rags." Imagine what our bad behavior looks like! Yet God still forgives us.

Kay Arthur says, "How can I, who have been forgiven for what I have done against a holy and perfect and righteous God, how can I, who have been forgiven so very, very much, refuse to forgive another when I've received forgiveness from God?"

It is difficult to comprehend how much God has forgiven us for. Spend time in prayer today quietly reflecting on God and on what He has done for you.

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." (Matthew 6:14-15)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...