Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Divorce Recovery Support Groups

"I didn't belong anywhere," says Cathy, "and that is the most horrible feeling in the world, to go places where you used to belong and you don't belong anymore. Even with my family I didn't feel like I belonged because they couldn't understand what I was going through. I got the same lines of 'Oh, just get up and get over it,' 'It'll be okay,' 'You still have us,' and 'You have your kids.' That was supposed to make it better. I couldn't make them understand what I was feeling inside, and it hurt so much.

"I got in a divorce recovery group, and it became my family. This was a place I belonged where I could tell people how I felt and they understood. They became my family because of that shared pain."

Divorce recovery support groups provide a safe place where you can share your hurts, your concerns, and your fears with other people who are in the divorce process. These people can best relate to what you are going through, and the facilitators of these support groups, who have typically been through divorce themselves, are in a position to give you spiritual guidance.

A DivorceCare group can be the "family" you need during this time of aloneness.

"God sets the lonely in families, he leads forth the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land" (Psalm 68:6).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...