Monday, October 26, 2009

New Directions for Emotional Investments

Emotional investments. You have probably not considered that phrase before. You have invested time, money, emotions, and more in your former spouse. Your initial reaction might be "I've lost it all!" Your investments are not lost. They just need to be directed to new outlets because they are no longer profitable in the current areas.

Take care, though. You do not want to put your investments in another relationship right now. That would be an unwise choice at this point in your healing process.

New directions for your emotional investments can include building same-sex friendships, getting a pet, taking classes, journaling, pursuing a new hobby, and attending a divorce recovery support group.

Cindy shares, "The first time I attended a divorce recovery group, I thought, What am I doing here? I don't need a support group. But I did, and the support group gave me a safe place. In the beginning I was afraid that if I opened my mouth, I'd start crying, and I wasn't comfortable sharing my situation. But I saw other people sharing their stories, and we all started to become friends and nurtured each other and supported each other. It meant a lot."

You may feel that a support group isn't for you, but we encourage you to try it for a few weeks. The healing rewards of a biblically based support group can be tremendous.

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken" (Ecclesiastes 4:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...