Sunday, November 8, 2009

Anger in Divorce

Anger can root deeply, grow quickly, and choke out your emotional health. Unless you cut away at your anger and learn to express it in a healthy manner, it can cause great harm to you and to others around you.

"I wanted to hurt him as badly as he hurt me," shares Joanne. "My anger was big, and it was black. It made me want to kill him. I knew I wouldn't, but I wanted to. I had enough knowledge to know that my anger was going to eventually eat me alive. Acid corrodes, as people say. That's when I knew that I had to direct my anger or learn to control it or dissipate it."

You may feel guilty about the extreme thoughts your anger is leading you to have. Be assured that these thoughts are normal for a person who is going through a divorce.

Howard shares, "I had tremendous guilt over some feelings I had, just awful and violent things I wanted to do to get even. It was such a relief to know that the things I'm feeling—the depression, the suicidal thoughts, the anger, and the violent thoughts are something common to this situation, something that can be faced and overcome."

If you are in a divorce, you will at some point feel anger. The extent of that anger will vary from person to person, but God commands everyone to be wise in anger.

"A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control" (Proverbs 29:11).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...