Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Straight Talk with God

In the Bible, David was a warrior and king who often wrote songs and prayers to God. He was never afraid to pour out his heart to the Lord. David expressed his deep pain, frustration, hurt, shame, and confusion, but he always ended his cries of despair by declaring that God is good, He is still in control, and He is worthy to be praised and honored.

In this psalm, note how David did not monitor his words when talking to God. He was not worried that he would shock or offend God. He said exactly what he was feeling.

"O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer. . . . All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads. . . . I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint. My heart has turned to wax; it has melted away within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth. . . . I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me. . . .

"But you, O LORD, be not far off; O my Strength, come quickly to help me. Deliver my life . . . Rescue me . . . save me. . . . . For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help. . . . . They who seek the LORD will praise him" (Psalm 22:2, 7, 14-15, 17, 19-21, 24, 26).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...