Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ask the Holy Spirit's Help

You can never see the big picture in any given situation. Only God sees your circumstances from all perspectives and contexts. As a result you often pray for the wrong things. You tend to pray for what seems best to you.

One unique aspect of the Christian walk is that God has given you His Holy Spirit to help you make right decisions and to guide your prayers. The Bible says that "the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express" (Romans 8:26).

"It wasn't until my relationship with Christ grew stronger that I could stand firm and give my former spouse over to the Lord," says Ginny. "I wasn't responsible for him anymore, and I wasn't his mother. I didn't have to take care of him. That was very hard not to do. I still felt I had to fix him and help him, but that wasn't my job when we were married, and it's not my job now."

You might be avoiding the real problem in your life. The Holy Spirit can help reveal to you the root cause of your problems. Ask the Holy Spirit to direct your prayers.

"You want something but don't get it. . . . You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives" (James 4:2-3).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...