Monday, November 30, 2009

Out-of-Control Anger

While some people suppress their anger, others express it openly and aggressively.

"I went by my husband's office that day to get my frustration out. I took a rock and smashed it through the windshield of his car. Then I got in my car, and I drove off," says Betsy.

Angie says, "My coping mechanism when I'm hurt is to lash out. I remember my ex calling several times, and I would just rage at him. I can't believe the things I actually said; I'd just completely cuss him out and tell him what a horrible person he was. That was very hurtful. That was very damaging."

The problem with aggression is that it often leads to sin. If your anger is justified, then practice expressing it in a neutral, safe setting alone or with someone who will not fuel your anger but will just listen. If an unexpected situation occurs that ignites your anger, decide right now that you will hold your tongue and wait for an appropriate moment and mindset to release it.

"The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires" (Galatians 5:19-24).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...