Sunday, November 15, 2009

When Is Anger a Sin?

If God says to be angry but not to sin, how do you know when your anger has crossed the line of sin?

Anger is sinful when it rises up quickly, taking over rational thought. Ecclesiastes 7:9 says, "Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools."

Betsy says, "I saw his car and I took a big rock and I smashed it through the windshield, and that was just a release of the anger. It was humiliating. It was a big mistake. I shouldn't have done that."

Juaria shares from her experience: "When you've been abused, you sometimes lie in bed and think about how you can get that person back. I remember one time thinking that I would wait until my husband was sleeping and boil some hot water and get him back for good. That was the wrong thing to do. Prayerfully, I considered my thoughts, and God really convicted me and made me understand that it's not for me to get him back. God is the One who has control over that."

Anger is a sin when it is accompanied by bitterness, blame, and unforgiveness. "Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger" (Ephesians 4:31).

Anger is wrong when it stirs up arguments and produces controversy. "An angry man stirs up dissension, and a hot-tempered one commits many sins" (Proverbs 29:22).

Anger must not be stored up within you for any extended period of time.

"Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry" (Ephesians 4:26).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...