Friday, November 20, 2009

Source of Anger: Others Are Trying to Control You

When you feel you are in control of a given situation, you have a sense of security. When others try to take over that control, you instinctively rebel.

Dr. Les Carter gives this example: "Enter into your life someone who says, 'I don't like the way you do things. We're going to do things my way.'

"That happens frequently in a divorce. Another person may start making decisions that directly affect you, that are way out of bounds from what you believe. He or she may say things about you behind your back. You feel like you're constantly scrambling, trying to figure out what to say in rebuttal. You feel controlled.

"When that occurs, your natural desire is to want to recapture control. You can find yourself in a power play: 'You've got control over me. I want to prove I can have control back over you.' Before you know it, you get pulled into frustrating circumstances, the net result being anger.

"If you want to let go of some of the anger, then let go of it by realizing you can't control other people. You may not like what they have to say or how they are acting, but that's not something you can control."

You are always the one who controls how you react to a situation. Your attitude, your words, and your actions are all the result of decisions made by you. Focus on controlling yourself, and walk on a higher plane than those who are negative, petty, or domineering.

"From the ends of the earth I call to you [God], I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I" (Psalm 61:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...