Thursday, December 10, 2009

Depression: What Does It Look Like?

Jim shares, "I turned everything inward and became very quiet. I wouldn't call the church; I never asked for help. I stayed home a lot and kept the house dark."

Joanne says, "The first two months I couldn't breathe. I cried when I got up in the morning; I cried all day; I cried when I went to bed at night. I didn't care how I looked or what I said."

"I didn't want to think I was depressed because to me that's a sign of weakness," says Marie. "I really thought I was coping well. I didn't allow myself to feel anything. I would push myself at work, working late night after night. I wasn't dealing with the reality that I was depressed."

In the Bible, David felt emotionally as if he were in a "slimy pit" full of "mud and mire." While in this emotional state, David "waited patiently for the Lord." Not only was he patient in his depression, but he was also vocal in it. He cried out to the Lord. As a result, God lifted him up and put his feet on solid ground. God put a new song in David's mouth. God will do the same for you if you trust in Him.

"I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God" (Psalm 40:1-3).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...