Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Unable to Concentrate

Depression can result in an inability to concentrate or remember things.

"I couldn't concentrate," says Dave. "I'd be driving home and I'd miss my turn. All of a sudden I'd look up, and I would be four or five blocks past where I was supposed to turn."

Marie says, "I had to remind myself how to do basic things. I remember several times when I would do things like start the coffeemaker but not put the water in. I got to the point where I left a list of instructions next to the coffeemaker."

"At work," says Rob Eagar, "I was reduced to a man who mindlessly stared at the wall all day."

Marie continues, "I remember staggering out of bed and standing there in the bathroom just staring at myself for about two or three minutes and then saying, 'Okay, turn on the taps. Pick up your toothbrush.' After I would say the instruction, I would do the thing."

Follow Marie's advice and say out loud the things you need to do. It is also a good idea to get a pad of paper and start writing things down both at home and at work.

"My child, listen to me and treasure my instructions. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight and understanding" (Proverbs 2:1-3 NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...