Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Understanding Your Depression

Depression is a natural reaction to profound loss. A person going through a divorce will likely experience some form of depression. Although depression is often associated with feelings of deep sadness, depression can take other forms as well.

Joyce shares, "I would go to work every day and put on a happy, smiling face, but as soon as I put the key in the door to my apartment, I would literally slide down the wall and cry.

"Then, I would crawl as a child to the bedroom and leave things as they were until the next morning—not wanting to eat, not wanting to be bothered. Family and friends would call me to make sure I was okay, and I would lie there listening to their calls. I didn't want to talk to anyone. I wanted to be alone.

"The depression began to show on the outside. People would ask me, 'Why are you losing so much weight? You don't seem to care about yourself as you used to.' I didn't want to do any activities, things that at one point I liked to do. I wanted to come home and sleep."

Depression is a normal and even necessary reaction to your loss. You are not alone in these behaviors and actions. You will learn in the next few weeks different signs of depression, how to deal with it, how to learn from it, and how to overcome it.

"Come quickly, LORD, and answer me, for my depression deepens. Don't turn away from me, or I will die" (Psalm 143:7 NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...