Monday, December 28, 2009

Headaches, Plus

The symptoms of depression overlap each other. One symptom can be the direct cause or result of another. For instance, if you do not get enough sleep or if your eating habits are erratic, you could suffer from severe headaches.

Rose Sweet says, "Your physical health is deeply affected by divorce. When you have an open wound that you haven't healed, you are constantly tired. You have headaches, backaches, depression, crying fits, weight gain, weight loss, and other physical problems that make it even worse." Fatigue, chest pain, abdominal pain, migraines, and heart palpitations are other common disturbances for people in separation or divorce.

Take a moment to think about the symptoms of depression in your life. The first step in dealing with any type of problem is to recognize what that problem is. Once you have recognized the symptoms of your depression, focus on overcoming the symptoms you have more control over; for instance, poor eating habits. Eating right will help you to sleep, which, in turn, will keep you from having headaches or stomachaches. Eliminating stressors one at a time will help control your depression.

The writer of this psalm was afflicted by multiple problems. Pray this prayer with the psalmist as he turned to God with hope:

"Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. The troubles of my heart have multiplied; free me from my anguish. . . . Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you. May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope is in you" (Psalm 25:16-17, 20-21). Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...