Tuesday, March 2, 2010

3 Unforeseen Benefits of Financial Behavior Modification

A guest post by John from The Christian Dollar...

Have you ever thought you had it right only to find that you were dead wrong? For the longest time, I thought I would become financially successful through careful math, but later I found that I was severely mistaken. I was always looking for better interest rates, crazy and wild ideas for making more income, and new investments that promised to yield unbelievable returns.

I’ve changed my focus. I started realizing that in order to be financially successful I had to change myself; change my behavior. Through experience, I’ve learned that being successful is not so much about finding the best deals, it’s about being honest with yourself and sacrificing any love for money (or possessions) you might have.

For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. -1 Timothy 6:10 NIV

In other words, you need to let go! Don’t let yourself be so consumed with money that you forget it’s not really about money, it’s about how you live your life. You’re just a manager of God’s money!

With all that being said, I’ve found three unforeseen benefits of financial behavior modification. These will happen for you if you decide to change that person in the mirror!

What are the 3 unforeseen benefits of financial behavior modification?

  1. Your income will skyrocket. It’s true. I’ve experienced an amazing increase in income over the past year because I decided to let go of my desires and let God do as God purposes. I got uncomfortable intentionally. I stepped out in faith and moved away from a job of comfort into a new field of the unknown. I think there are points in our lives where we have to let go of what we have so we can embrace what God has in store for us. Agreed?
  2. Your emergencies will turn into inconveniences. As you turn to more conservative investments and build your emergency fund, you will experience a peace like you’ve never known. You won’t have to worry about dishing out money when your refrigerator goes out because you need to “hold on” to your prized stock investment. Instead you can just write a check from your emergency fund.
  3. You’ll be in better health. Think about it. If you’re constantly worried about your finances, don’t you think that results in more stress, higher blood pressure, strained relationships, unhealthy eating, and more horrible consequences? Of course it does! Improve the way you handle money and you’ll change your health for the better.

This is only the beginning. There are more benefits to financial restraint than I could possibly list. Stay disciplined and you will see results. Push yourself to change your financial habits and you will succeed. READY? SET? GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...