Monday, March 29, 2010

Housing

The biggest hit on your finances is housing. Your home can be a "budget buster" if you are not careful to consider the percentage of your income being used by the house.

"My husband left me with the house and with large house payments. I didn't even make that much money. I ended up getting another job. I worked two jobs for almost two years, twelve hour days," says Patsy.

"In a two-year period," says Tim, "I went from what I thought was a perfect life to living in an apartment by myself with two houses now for sale."

Susan had to move from the house she and her husband built together because she could not keep up with the expenses after the divorce. She says, "All of sudden he was gone, and I couldn't pay this mortgage. I stared foreclosure in the eye, and that's a scary thing."

Figure out what percentage of your income goes into the house. Your home should consume about 40 percent of your net income. That percentage includes payments, utilities, insurance, and telephone bills. If that percentage is not affordable, immediately consider other options.

Above all, keep persevering because God does have a place for you to live that is just right for you. He promises to supply all your needs, so rest easy and trust Him.

"God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others" (2 Corinthians 9:8 NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...