Monday, January 11, 2010

The Ache of Loneliness

You are home alone and you long for companionship. You are out with friends, surrounded by people who love you, yet you ache with loneliness. This emotion is deep, and it is difficult for other people to understand. Sometimes people in your church may not understand because they see that you are surrounded by a loving church family. While it is crucial to let yourself be loved by church and family members, the loss of a spouse brings a loneliness that can only be healed through a love relationship with Jesus Christ.

"There were times," says Cheryl, "especially in the evening after I put my children down to bed, when I was home by myself, and I remember sitting on my sofa just wishing that someone was there to put his arms around me and just to hold me and to love me. And I thought, This is the way it's always going to be."

Danny shares: "I was so lonely. The house was so quiet after my wife left with the children. It's amazing how the quietness can be so loud. I didn't want to be in that house."

During the next few weeks, you will learn that there are complex reasons behind loneliness. You will look at some effective ways to deal with your loneliness as well as mistakes to avoid when you're feeling lonely.

"And now how lonely—bereft, abandoned! The once famous city, the once happy city" (Jeremiah 49:25 Msg).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...