Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Rebound Relationships

One of the most serious consequences of the loneliness that comes from separation or divorce is the tendency to enter new, opposite-sex relationships too quickly. These relationships, often called rebound relationships, can cause a tremendous amount of pain in your life.

"The illusion that getting another person will make you happy is a very devastating illusion because it wasn't true the first time, and there's no reason for it to be true a second time," says Gary Richmond.

Lee shares, "I was extremely vulnerable, and I was not as in control of my emotions as I thought because the new relationship was so comfortable. It really was an escape. I realized later that there was so much more healing to do. When someone comes along and is attracted to you and you're attracted to that person, you have to be aware that this is not the time for that."

Dr. Les Carter says, "Many times folks ask, 'Is there a particular period of time that I should wait before I get into other relationships?' Time isn't really the major factor. Rather, it's knowing yourself and your motivations, and knowing who you are and why you want a new relationship."

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength" (Philippians 4:11-13).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...