Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fewer Periods of Depression

"How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?" (Psalm 13:2).

You probably cried out, at one point, the same question as the psalmist above, feeling that your depression would never end. But as time has been moving along, perhaps now your depression is lessening and a sense of normalcy is returning to your life.

When Nancy began attending a divorce recovery support group, her new friends noticed that she never smiled and never showed any emotions. Nancy says, "I was just cold. I was dead inside."

As time moved on, Nancy began to realize that she, too, was moving forward through her depression. She says, "I can remember sitting in a meeting one night and finally laughing. Somebody said to me, 'Wow, you have teeth.' I hadn't smiled for so long."

Mike Klumpp offers a suggestion to help you move out of depression one moment at a time: "I had a game I used to play with myself. In the midst of my depression, when I was down and out about my marriage and my situation, I would look for a pretty color. Then I would focus on that color and enjoy it. In every moment, there is something simple that you can enjoy."

"Don't be dejected and sad, for the joy of the LORD is your strength!" (Nehemiah 8:10 NLT).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...