Thursday, January 21, 2010

Depression and Futility

Loneliness can lead to depression and to the sense that everything is futile, so why bother.

Harriet shares: "I would go to bed and curl up into a ball and burrow down under the covers. I felt like I was just a speck in this deep blackness, almost like when you look up and you see a little star in the dark heavens at night, cold and alone.

"Some people thought I was dying. They told me months later that they thought I had a terminal disease because I rarely spoke and I'd lost so much weight. The loneliness was showing up on my face and in my demeanor. I had once been a confident, fun-filled, always-finding-something-to-laugh-about kind of person. All of a sudden, I felt like a woman who was ninety years old and would be alone forever. I saw no hope."

You, too, may be so lonely and depressed that you are barely going through the motions of living. Perhaps you feel it is worthless to even try. It is not worthless. God created you for a purpose, and He fully equipped you to fulfill that purpose. Your life has meaning and worth. God made you to be exactly who you are. You are so special to Him.

Make the effort to get out and interact with family and friends. Join a church group or Bible study. Learn God's plan for your new life. Harriet says, "Once I reached the point where I began to let people close to me know what was going on in my life, the loneliness began to dissipate, but it took months."

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do" (Ephesians 2:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...