Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Linux Helps Me Live a Stress-Free Life

a guest post from Fr. Stephen Cuyos


Most of my day is spent in front of the computer. Thus a perfectly functioning machine is of vital importance to me. I do not want to worry about viruses and spyware. I do not want to have to defrag my hard disk every now and then or reboot every time I install a new application. I do not want to worry about some malicious software or hacker gaining control of my computer. Since I multitask all the time, I do not want to be limited to a single workspace. In short, I want a computer that is secure and gives me what I need.

Thankfully there is an operating system that gives me the security and ease-of-use that I need. My laptop currently runs Ubuntu 9.10, a wildly popular Linux distribution. I’ve been using Linux since 2004 and I can say that this free operating system helps me enjoy a stress-free life. And it’s because:

1. Linux makes me forget about viruses.
2. Linux allows me to update my system and all my applications with a single click.
3. Linux allows me to give copies of the OS for free
4. If I need to install an application I do not have to scour the web for it. In my Ubuntu-powered machine, all I have to do is run the Ubuntu Software Center
5. Linux allows me to use multiple workspaces. Great for multitasking
6. Linux comes pre-loaded with an office suite, media player, graphics programs, and many other essential applications
7. When I need help, the Linux online community will never forsake me

If you want to know more how Linux can make your life easier and why is it better than Windows or Mac, please go to http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...