Friday, January 1, 2010

Accept Yourself As You Are

One step in managing your depression is to accept yourself as you are and to accept God's love.

"If you have thought of yourself solely as a wife or husband and you lose that," says Dr. Linda Mintle, "sometimes you don't even know who you are. You have to learn that you are more than just a relationship, . . . and you must ultimately define yourself in Christ. He delights in you; He has created you in a good way; His gifts are in you."

Marie shares, "I didn't feel so miserable. I didn't feel so lonely. I didn't feel ugly or worthless anymore. God had reminded me: 'I made you. I love you. My love for you doesn't have anything to do with your husband. I love you regardless of what has happened. Let me be your God.'"

Jeremiah 31:3 says that "The LORD appeared to us . . . saying: 'I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness.'"

You don't need to clean yourself up to have a relationship with God. When Jesus came to earth, He spent His time loving, caring for, teaching, and healing those who were sick and hurting—physically, spiritually, and emotionally. He isn't looking for people who "have it all together" or who appear good and holy on the outside. He is looking for people who realize they cannot face life without Him. He wants you to come to Him just the way you are.

"Jesus said to them, 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners'" (Mark 2:17).

Thank you Lord that You have chosen me to be Your special child; that You have created me to be valuable, lovely, and talented in my own way; that You love me with an everlasting love. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...