Saturday, January 9, 2010

What is it that you have in your hands?

- a guest post from Garry Mullen

Elisha replied to her, “How can I help you? Tell me, what do you have in your house?” – 2 Kings 4:2


Have you noticed we always seem to have an insatiable appetite for more? What we want is just around the corner. If we only had …. then we could be better at what we do. If we just had … more

I had a great talk with a good friend this week. We talked a little about that. In the days when I worked as a bi-vocational pastor, the dream was always that when the day came that I could have a bigger office, or a better computer, or less interruptions, that would be the day when things would be better. Then I would be able to do the job that I needed to do. The reality was something quite different. If I couldn’t get the job done where I was – it didn’t matter what things I might have or how my situation might change. I needed to learn how to get the job done right where I was. If I could do it there, I would be able to do it when I was able to have the things that I thought that I needed.

It is interesting that Elijah doesn’t ask the widow what she wanted – but rather what it was that she already had. God gives us a vision that is not dependant on us achieving more. It is dependant on our being willing to chase after the vision we possess with what we have in our hands.

We don’t need more. We need what we have – and the creativity to use it for the creator we serve. So, what is it that you have in your hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...