Friday, January 22, 2010

Promiscuity

Another consequence of loneliness is promiscuity.

"Whenever you get caught up in promiscuity or get into the party scene, then typically it implies that there is an emptiness, a desire to connect with other individuals," explains Dr. Les Carter. "You may be willing to go whatever route it takes to fill the emptiness. By not dealing well with loneliness, you can have many other consequences."

Greg says, "I was really vulnerable during this time, and whenever a woman paid attention to me, there was that draw and attraction. With all the loneliness I was feeling, any kind of comfort I got from a female made me want to get into a relationship with her or become physical with her. I knew that wasn't where I needed to be." Greg found that the best solution was to focus on developing same-sex friendships and to turn his attention to the Lord and focus on Him.

You do not want to turn to sex or to new relationships with the opposite sex to ease your loneliness. Your emptiness can only be filled by God. Choose God. You always have a choice as to how you are going to live each moment of every day. And you can choose whom you will live for.

Be careful that you don't react to your feelings or to new situations by seeking any kind of comfort, but that you think first. Prayerfully consider your actions today and how those actions will positively or negatively affect your life tomorrow, next month, or five years from now.

God says, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart" (Jeremiah 29:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell us what you think...